Professionals are able to refer into Spring Lodge but can we ask that you make sure we are the right service for your client/patient first. We have created a selection of leaflets and resources that you can access via our Useful Leaflets and Links page.
If you want some copies of these for your organisation then please call us.
If you are unsure then please ring us on 01522 524402 or out of hours on 0303 1234000 and we can give you the right advice – It may be that another agency is more suitable and so we can give you their contact details.
What we need to know
Someone that has been raped may be experiencing a variety of emotions and have many complex needs. To get them the right help we would ask that professionals try to sensitively ascertain the following information so that we can guide the person to the right support.
- When did it happen? – The person may need an emergency referral. Do they need medication such as emergency hormonal contraception? Are they in the time frame for a forensic medical examination?
- Are they in danger now? – Think about safeguarding needs and make relevant referrals if required. Are they a risk to themselves or others? Are they at risk from someone else?
- Is the perpetrator dead, or has it already been through a legal route? – If so then this may mean that legal action cannot take place now and therefore our service may not be the right one for them. We can point them /you in the direction of the relevant agency.
- What does the person want to happen? – Do they want to take legal action? Are they unsure and just want to talk to someone about their options.
- What are they worried about/what is the most important thing to them?
Ascertaining this before you call can help us direct to the right services and prevent further trauma for the person.